Working at The Ostara Group
The Ostara Group is a full-service fundraising and strategic consulting firm based in Seattle. Founded in 2009, our goal is to help nonprofit organizations navigate complex fundraising and sustainability issues, address your day-to-day challenges, and bring your work and impact to new heights. We are fundraisers, coaches and leaders with decades of leadership and experience on the front lines of organizations in every nonprofit sector. As a team, we value hard work, an entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, and authenticity. We also value our connection to our team and our community. We work, play, volunteer, and celebrate together.
The Ostara Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. The Ostara Group is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Washington State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.
The Ostara Group seeks a Senior Consultant to participate in, lead and manage projects with a wide variety of nonprofit organization clients. The successful candidate will be innovative and entrepreneurial, with deep experience in fundraising and nonprofit management. They will be creative and energetic, and show the capacity and willingness to lead, mentor, manage, and inspire both clients and Ostara team members.
The Senior Consultant reports directly to Director, Development Strategy, Kari Dasher. The ideal candidate will be a capable and inspiring manager of people, systems, and processes. They will be a skilled “athlete” in individual giving, able to work at the strategic and tactical level of development and organizational planning, capital or major campaigns, major giving, annual giving, digital fundraising, events, donor communications, and other fundraising work with equal ease.
As a member of our senior leadership team, the Senior Consultant will:
- Participate actively and regularly in The Ostara Group’s internal meetings, events, workgroups, task forces and group trainings
- Help grow the firm by identifying and cultivating potential clients
- Cultivate and steward connections and relationships with staff and board leaders of past, current and potential clients
- Develop, market and teach workshops or presentations in their areas of expertise when opportunities arise at conferences or through partner organizations
- Transfer expertise, insight and knowledge from one client engagement to the next, and to the rest of the Ostara team
- Contribute expertise to the Ostara Brain Trust as questions and needs arise
- Generate ideas for and/or write thought leadership content for Ostara’s online engagement of the nonprofit sector
- Mentor, support, and otherwise contribute to the success of all team members, amplifying their talents for the benefit of the individual, the company, and our client organizations
- Stay aware of conventional and emerging trends and best practices in fundraising and nonprofit management
- Participate in strategic planning for the long-term health of the company
When acting as a project team member, the Senior Consultant will:
- Support client staff and volunteers and other Ostara personnel in executing fundraising activities, including events, campaigns, appeals, major gifts, and grants, or in assessing client organizations
- Prepare essential fundraising materials in support of the client’s fundraising efforts, including annual giving materials, event collateral, campaign materials, acknowledgement letters, and follow-up correspondence
- Occasionally serve as on-site, part-time interim development manager or director, functioning like a staff member for the client organization
- Generate ideas for and supply high-impact recommendations that contribute to the strategic goals of the client organization
- Analyze complex issues and quickly identify trends and implications
- Contribute to various strategy and tactical planning documents to guide fundraising process and track fundraising progress
When leading a team or project, the Senior Consultant will:
- Participate in business development, proposal writing, and editing to potential clients to secure projects and other business opportunities
- Manage each project to success, including completion of deliverables
- Maintain excellent communication with clients, ensuring their satisfaction with progress and final results or deliverables
- Establish and maintain timelines for projects, including contract progress, schedules, and client needs
- Define and drive custom strategy planning documents to guide campaign process and progress, including managing the production of documents by other team members
- Develop client deliverables
A successful candidate will be an innovative and proactive campaign fundraising professional who is interested in using their skills and competencies to benefit a wide range of organizations, while continuing to grow professionally and actively learn from team members at all levels. Successful candidates must thrive in a team environment while maintaining independence and taking initiative in their own work.
In addition, s/he will have:
- Minimum of seven years of fundraising experience, where five years have been as a chief development officer accountable to an executive director and board and/or in consulting services.
- Time management skills are paramount to thrive in this position. The candidate must be confident in their ability to self-manage on a daily basis, among a broad portfolio of clients, as well as monitor those they may be managing
- A high degree of professionalism, confidence, sensitivity and integrity
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with individuals and groups of varying size
- The ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents, including other Ostara consulting staff, client staff, volunteers, board members, donors and prospects
- Experience managing a team of one or more individuals, including staff and volunteers
- Critical thinking skills, i.e., the ability to apply reasoning and logic to new or unfamiliar ideas, opinions, and situations
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- High degree of comfort and facility with technology, including donor relationship/CRM databases, and the Microsoft Suite
- Creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit and flexibility
- A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience in the field
Ostara works hard to build and preserve a warm and supportive culture. This position is a full-time, position, with a salary range of $70,000-90,000. This position is eligible for health insurance, PTO, an annual professional development stipend.
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Rebecca Zanatta, Vice President, at email@example.com.
This position will be open until filled. We expect the start date for this position will be by mid-October.